The courthouse with 24 columns
Justice has been administered on the banks of the Saône since the tenth century...
Remarkable sites and monuments
Last updated date : 15/01/2021
Located on the banks of the Saône in the Vieux-Lyon (Old Lyon) district, the historic Palais de Justice (law courts) has a majestic neoclassical facade featuring 24 Corinthian columns.
It is remarkable to think that justice has been administered on this spot in Lyon since the tenth century.
This Palais de Justice in Vieux-Lyon was built from 1835 to 1947 by Louis-Pierre Baltard.
The architect was inspired by a Greek temple. However, he chose to place the colonnade along the front of the building, instead of the sides, as was the practice in Antiquity, to make the building even more imposing!
Since construction of the new ‘Cité Judiciaire’ in the Part-Dieu district, the building has been home to only the Cour d'Appel (court of appeal) and Cour d'Assises (court of assizes).
Several major cases in France’s history have been heard in its courtrooms.
Full renovations in 2009 and 2013 returned the Palais de Justice of Vieux-Lyon to its former splendour.
The lobby is a huge hall (625m2) under a 17m high arch. Commemorative plaque was unveiled in 2010 in honour of the late Dr Edmond Locard (1877-1966). A coroner, student at Lacassagne, is considered one of the pioneers of forensic science in the police. It was here that he created the first laboratory in the courthouse in 1910.
rue du Palais de Justice / rue de la Bombarde - 69005 Lyon 5ème